Would like to advertise in this space?

Contact:

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history

EARLY SETTLEMENT - William Lawson, cont. P.16

Lawson encouraged George Cox, William Cox the road builder’s son, to settle at Mudgee, Lawson’s family taking up 6,000 acres (2428 ha) on the Putta Bucca side of the Cudgegong at Bombira Hill, where he built the historic homestead in 1827.
 
Lawson’s estates, included 25,000 acres (10,117 ha) on the Talbragar River, 6000 (2428 ha) near Bathurst, 3000 (1214 ha) in Roxburgh, 1500 (607 ha) near Springwood, his Veteran Hall property at Prospect, and 160,000 acres (64,750 ha) in additional leases.
 
He imported merino rams and ewes from England, as well as Shorthorn cattle and blood horses. His horses were famous throughout the colony in the coaching days and he was reputed to have taken the first stock across the mountains in July 1815 and escorted Freycinet's party of naturalists and botanists over the mountains in 1819.
 
Lawson was also responsible for discovering coal at Hartley Vale, west of the Blue Mountains in September 1822.
 
After his wife Sarah died on 14 July 1830 aged 47, Lawson retired to Veteran Hall, leaving his sons Nelson and William to develop his other properties.
 

 

 

Previous |  Content |  Next

Would like to be a sponsor on this site?

Contact our administrator now!

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history