Would like to advertise in this space?

Contact:

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history

EARLY SETTLEMENT - William Lawson, cont. P.17

prospect reservoir

sydney waterLawson’s property at Prospect eventually was acquired by the Metropolitan Water Board and is now part of the Prospect reservoir, the house being demolished in 1926.   Zoom in to read words at left.
 

William Lawson cont.

However, he continued to live a full and active life. He was a generous supporter of the Presbyterian Church, and took an active part in the establishment of both Scots Church, Sydney, in 1824 and Scots Church, Parramatta, in 1838.
 
He became a magistrate and on 10 October 1825 signed a letter approving trial by jury.
 
Lawson also imported labourers from Chile in 1841, but the venture was unsuccessful.
 
He became a politician in 1843 as member for Cumberland in the first partly-elective Legislative Council, even though he did not attend and took little part in the debates. He did, however, oppose Wentworth’s extreme views on the government in 1845. He did not support the squatters in 1844, and opposed a reduction in the price of land in 1846.
 
Lawson became disenchanted with politics and did not seek re-election in 1848.
 
He died on June 16, 1850 at Veteran Hall, and was buried at St Batholomew, leaving most of his estates to his son, William. His property at Prospect eventually was acquired by the Metropolitan Water Board and is now part of the Prospect reservoir, the house being demolished in 1926.

Previous Content |  Next

Would like to be a sponsor on this site?

Contact our administrator now!

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history