Would like to advertise in this space?

Contact:

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history
Would you like to advertise in this space?
Contact: info@mudgeehistory.com.au

EARLY SETTLEMENT - William Cox, Road Builder, P.20

winbourne street mudgee

Mudgee street signs still reflect the history of the Cox family from Winbourne Mulgoa and their Mudgee Burrundulla home.  

William Cox, Road Builder cont.

William Cox received the first grant of land west of the Blue Mountains, 2000 acres (809 ha) across the river from Bathurst, which he named Hereford.
 
About 1810 Cox and his sons took up land in the Mulgoa Valley. Later, his sons and grandsons prospered his land at Burrundulla in the Mudgee district, growing fine wool.
 
Winbourne at Mulgoa,  is associated with the Cox family. Three of William Cox’s sons built houses in the valley. Henry Cox built Glenmore (the present golf club), Edward built Fernhill (now largely restored) and George built Winbourne, starting in 1824 or so. William, the road builder, lived at ‘The Cottage’, near the present site of St Thomas’ Church, before moving to Clarendon at Richmond.
 
William Cox’s estate at Clarendon, near Windsor, was a village in itself, with more than 50 convict servants employed as smiths, tanners, harness makers, wool sorters, weavers, butchers, tailors and herdsmen. Cox’s flock was described as among the best in the colony.
 
William Cox’s first wife, Rebecca, died in 1819 and three years later he married again, bearing another three sons and a daughter by this marriage.

Previous |  Content |  Next

burundula avenue

mulgoa way

Would like to be a sponsor on this site?

Contact our administrator now!

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history