EARLY SETTLEMENT - George Cox, Son of William the road builder, P.22
GEORGE COX, son of William the road builder.
George Cox is shown in George Cox of Mulgoa and Mudgee: Letters to his sons 1846—49 to be a warm, loving, humane person, if subject to bouts of depression during the hard times.
His letters show a genuine love for his family and friends, a concern for his employees, whether convict or Aboriginal, and a love of horses.
George Cox made home base Winbourne, at Mulgoa, and his son, George Henry, ran his Mudgee home, Burrundulla, with George travelling to Mudgee twice a year to check on its prosperity.
Although Winbourne burnt down in 1920, the bath house and winery and stables remain, the winery was converted to a ballroom, the stables converted to a chapel, and additional conference and dining rooms. Winbourne was acquired by the Christian Brothers in 1958 and was their training centre for many years before being developed as a retreat and education venue. Norman McVicker tells us that Winbourne was also used as a military training centre during World War II.
In 1822, George and his brother Henry, took up land at Mudgee on a ticket of occupation from Bathurst, establishing a cattle farm. In 1830 he added sheep from Mulgoa. George received his grant for the land from the Crown in 1834.
Previous | Content | Next
Photo thanks to Mudgee Museum