Would like to advertise in this space?

Contact:

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history
Would you like to advertise in this space?
Contact: info@mudgeehistory.com.au

EARLY SETTLEMENT - George Cox, Son of William the road builder, cont.P.23

burundula school

The Old School
House,
Burrundulla
Village today

 

GEORGE COX, son of William the road builder cont.

By the time Burrundulla had become a thriving village, Mudgee was gazette for a village, in 1838. An 1841 census shows seven brick houses and 29 wood or slab houses in Mudgee village.
 
George was the fourth son of William Cox, the road builder. George married Eliza Bell, a daughter of Archibald Bell of Belmont, Richmond, at St Matthew’s Church Windosr in 1822. They made their first home at Mulgoa in The Cottage (originally called Fernhills) and he built Winbourne nearby, first a single storey home, but later, after his 11 children had been born, a two storey home. George’s brother, Edward moved into Fernhill and another brother, Henry, lived at Glenmore, the three families attending St Thomas’ Church Mulgoa together.

Previous |  Content |  Next

Would like to be a sponsor on this site?

Contact our administrator now!

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history