Would like to advertise in this space?

Contact:

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history
Would you like to advertise in this space?
Contact: info@mudgeehistory.com.au

EARLY SETTLEMENT - GEORGE HENRY COX, son of George Cox of Burrundulla and Mulgoa, P.24

george henry cox acreage

By the 1860s, George Henry had leased more than 30 x 40 acre sites on the Burrundulla river flats for about  £100  a year, where tenants produced wheat, vegetables and dairy products for the goldfields.
 

GEORGE HENRY COX, son of George Cox of Burrundulla and Mulgoa

George Henry Cox was born October 18, 1824 at Mulgoa, NSW, the eldest of George Cox of Winbourn Mulgoa and Elizabeth, daughter of Archibald Bell snr.
 
George Henry went to King’s School and from 1845 managed his father’s land at Burrundulla. By the 1860s, George Henry had leased more than 30 forty acre sites on the Burrundulla river flats for about £100 a year, where tenants produced wheat, vegetables and dairy products for the goldfields. During this time he expanded his sheep and cattle runs on the Liverpool Plains and the Warrego in partnership with Vincent Dowling, which were mostly sold by 1876, Pine Ridge near Dubbo being the last, held until 1899.
 
His actions were seen as trying to introduce the English model of landlord squirearchy in Australia, with the ownership of land seen to carry social and political obligations. As a member of parliament he secured government grants for the hospital, mechanics’ institute and other organizations in Mudgee and for many years before 1884 lobbied for the extension of the railway from Wallerawang to Mudgee. It was his influence that brought Cudgegong to be the first rural municipality in NSW in July 1860 and he was generally regarded as the patron of Mudgee.

Previous |  Content |  Next

Would like to be a sponsor on this site?

Contact our administrator now!

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history