Would like to advertise in this space?

Contact:

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history
Would you like to advertise in this space?
Contact: info@mudgeehistory.com.au

EARLY SETTLEMENT - GEORGE HENRY COX, son of George Cox of Burrundulla and Mulgoa, cont.P.26

george henry cox patron at st john anglican church

George Henry Cox was a patron of  St John’s Anglican Church Mudgee

GEORGE HENRY COX, son of George Cox of Burrundulla and Mulgoa cont.

George Henry was an active member of the Church of England (Anglican Church). His father, George Cox gave land for a church cemetery at Glebe and St John the Baptist Church in Mudgee and George Henry continued his patronage.
 
One of his sisters married Canon Alfred Stephen and another sister married Archdeacon WE White of Muswellbrook.
 
George Henry held a seat on the diocesan synod of Sydney (1866) and the Bathurst synod from 1873. He chaired the committees of the Bathurst synod, specializing in financial matters, investing church money in the Cudgegong municipality.
 
George Henry Cox often found himself in opposition to clergy, particularly in the matter of public education.
 
He also received censure in Sydney and Bathurst when he tried to revive the English debates on the revision of the Prayer Book. Cox wanted to clip and cut the book to allow participation by nonconformists.
 
In 1901 George Henry rose from his sick bed to lead a synod delegation to the Bathurst parishioners regarding finance.

burubdulla house

Burrundulla House.  Photo compliments of Mudgee Museum  

Previous |  Content |  Next

Would like to be a sponsor on this site?

Contact our administrator now!

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Support local history