|1913||A horse and single furrow plough were used to mark out the location of each of the proposed streets. A fire was lit at the end of each street under the mountain so the horse and plough could be lined up to go in the right direction. Original Streets comprised of Angus Ave., Buchanan St., Rogers St., Davies Rd., White Crescent, Jaques Street, McDonald Street and Noyes Street.|
Arrangements made with Freid Krupp Ltd., of Bremen, Germany for the supply of plant for the new works. Shipment on 'SS Adelaide, a German ship, began only a few days before the outbreak of WW1 on August 4, 1914. The ship ran into the neutral port of Loanda, Portuguese West Africa, where it was interned.
|1914 August||WW1 declared |
|1915||March Rail Station Candos|
|1915||March - Candos rail station officially opened|
When the Krupps Kiln was impounded, the company ordered another made by Allis Chalmers in Milwaukee in America. The Krupps Plant was released from it's war-time holding and ultimately made its way to the plant at Kandos, with us noting the complete difference between the German kiln and the Allis Chalmers kiln; the German kiln was one of the earliest of a completely welded construction whereas the Allis Chalmers was a riveted shell which was typical of that type of structure then, and it looked a much heavier piece of equipment. I can recollect this machinery coming in and being unloaded and the constructional work of the cement kiln had an engineer from Krupps in Germany, who at that time had four sons fighting in the war. He was with the plant and was in charge of the erection of the kiln in particular. I can recollect this rather elaborate machinery and the beautiful way in which it was constructed in Germany.
from History of Kandos By BA Fleming
|1914 ||October, Lime Kiln placed in service prior to cement being produced. The Lime Kiln constructed on site, thought to be a vertical kiln. Lime produced from November 3, 1915 to 1916. |
|1914||October — Town laid out|
|1914||Cement Co private rail siding|
|1915||January - Candos Rail siding completed.|
|1915||March, Candos too similar to Chandos SA.|
|1915||April 1, Candos changed to Kandos|
|1915||Town name Kandos registered with the Register General|
|1915||July 1. Coal first sold from the mine to a railway contract.|
|1915||July - great aerial ropeway with a capacity to carry 2 1/2 tonnes of limestone a minute over 5 kilometres of rough country...partially completed. All the steel towers had been erected and the rope hoisted, now having only to be stretched. A protection bridge over the railway line almost completed. Another bridge across the main Sydney Rylstone road would be completed soon.|
|1915||During 1915 most of the new plant arrived from England and America, but some hold ups.|
|1915 November||November, Kandos Quarry, 5 1/4 kms by aerial ropeway and 11.3 kms by road in a westerly direction from the works, commenced operations. Its function to supply limestone to the factory for cement manufacture. Limestone was won from No. 1 Quarry by explosives, barring down the face and manually breaking and shovelling the stone into horse drawn skips for delivery into a hopper above No. 1 Ropeway discharge point, this hopper holding 100 tonnes.|
|1915 November||No. 1 Ropeway was a single cable type, carrying 130 buckets of 660 kg capacity, and driven by a 110 hp motor from the factory end.|
A rail line was put down from the quarry face to the loading bay adjacent to the ropeway, horse-drawn skips being used to haul stone on this line.
During this time between 200-300 men were employed at the quarry alone.
|1916 January 26||Kookaburra march from Gilgandra. Only one recruit, albeit a grand welcome, Rupert George. But several young men had already joined.|
|1916||Red Cross formed. Pres. Mr. James Duncan, Sec./Treas Mrs. N.H.Barton, Vice Presidents: Mrs. J. Lloyd, Crossley, King and T. Lloyd.|
|1916 March 25||Mr. Lloyd's property Ferndale Estate subdivision conducted. 50 blocks. This subdivision on the flat west of the railway line. Buyers: Finch, Cuttle, Winsper.|
|1916 July 9th||Factory commenced first full production of cement|
|1916 July 31st||Cement first sold. This plant named No. 2 unit.|
Meanwhile, No. 1 sat in port at Loanda. Many discussions took place between the countries concerned in an endeavour to ascertain if the impounded goods were for military use by the sender or the receiver, and by other parties to prove that they were not. Finally the vessel was released and on its way to Australia.
Troubles again. On arrival in Australia, a strike by dock workers at the wharf and Government customs delays prevented the plant from leaving the wharf for nearly 12 months.
|1916 October||Saw the arrest of a stranger to the town, a Mexican, after the reckless use of a revolver. He had gone wild one Saturday afternoon, shooting off his .32 revolver at all the water tanks he could find. puncturing them. A resented act for water was a precious commodity. The fine of $4 was imposed.|
Storekeeper Strong had nearly completed his business premises
A butcher's shop for Mr. Walter Tweedie - from Portland
Fruit shop for Mr. George Arthur
An Aboriginal called George was toilet contractor.
History of Kandos By BA Fleming p.29 - 32
Hjalma Langevad's memories of the time Also, names of business people - men who remained home from the war on these pages.
Everett camped with a big Dane