|1810 ||About 1810 William Cox and his sons took up land in the Mulgoa Valley. Later, his sons and grandsons prospered his land at Burrundulla in the Mudgee district, growing fine wool. |
|1813||Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson cross the Blue Mountains. Surveyor, George Evans, camped on the future site of Bathurst. |
|1815||William Cox and co built a road over the Blue Mountains. Governor Macquarie travelled the route and proclaimed the site for Bathurst. Bathurst is settled by government troops. |
|1820||James Blackman marks a road from Bathurst to Wallerawang. Settlers begin to arrive in 1820s—Fitzgerald, Jamison, Rouse, Blackman, Dulhunty, Ashcroft, Bowman, Steele, King, Hayes, Lowe and Walker, up through the Cudgegong River, through the Capertee and Glen Alice Valleys and up the Turon over Razorback. |
|1821||James Blackman crossed the Cudgegong River coming to Burrundulla Swamps. He names Aaron’s Pass after his Aboriginal guide. William Lawson discovers the Aboriginal Camp at Mudgee accompanied by John Blackman, James Blackman’s brother. |
|1822||Blackman and Lawson trace a route from Wallerawang to Dabee, near Rylstone. George and Henry Cox, William Cox the road builder’s sons, settled on the Camping Tree site west of Mudgee at Old Menah. Explorer and botanist Allan Cunningham came to Mudgee. George Cox married Eliza Bell, daughter of Archibald Bell of Richmond. He built a home on the Burrundulla Flats. |
The first land grant was to Captain Henry Steel, granted in 1823 for services during the Napoleonic Wars.
James Walker was granted Lue in 1823.
George Cox built Winbourne, starting in 1824 or so
Henry Cox granted the land at The Camping Tree on Wilbertree Road.
Robert Hoddle first arrived at Bathurst on February 1, 1825 and left there for Mudgee on April 14, where he surveyed land holdings by drawing a ‘Surveyor’s Line’ for William Lawson’s 1000 acres at Bombira, Lawrence Dulhunty’s 2000 acres at Putta Bucca and the holdings of George Cox, James King and others. Hoddle soon left the Mudgee district. Richard Lewis, then decided on the low lying ground (close to where 2MG now stands) beside the Cudgegong River. Luckily, he listened to Michael Lahy, a Cox overseer at Menah, who pointed out the dangers of flood and Lewis made a second choice—the present site of the town. final design based on this map was drawn by N.H.Lewis, Jun. which resulted in the gazettal of Mudgee as a village in the NSW Government Gazette, dated Friday, January 12, 1838.
Lawson took up 6,000 acres (2428 ha) on the Putta Bucca side of the Cudgegong at Bombira Hill, where he built the historic homestead in 1827.
George Cox brings sheep to Mudgee from Winbourne, Mulgoa.
In 1834 the present site of Mudgee, east of the Camping Tree and west of George Cox’s Burrundulla, was proposed for a village.
The first permanent building in Mudgee was a slab hut erected beside a deep waterhole in the Cudgegong River, close to where the Cox brothers made their first camp by James Blackman in 1837, which was a general store as well as Blackman’s home.
In 1836 William Blackman wanted to build a store, so the area had to be surveyed again so that a village could be planned. The man instructed to do this was Assistant-Surveyor, Peter Grant Olgivie. He made a detailed survey which he sent on June 20, 1837 to the Colonial Secretary with a map showing the buildings already erected by William Blackman and a Dr Toogood.
William Cox died on March 15, 1837 and was buried with Rebecca at St Matthew’s Windsor.
The new site of Mudgee was gazetted as a village on January 12, 1838 with the map sent in by NH Lewis jnr.
Blackman was among the first to buy land at the new site of Mudgee when 20 allotments bound by Douro, Market, Court and Mortimer Streets were auctioned in Sydney.
James Blackman receives 640 acres at Cooyal.
Mid 1840s, police station moved from Menah to Mudgee.
A hospital also opened at West End in 1840, near the Cudgegong River.
Mudgee also had one of the first Post Offices west of the Blue Mountains, and John Griffiths took the mail and sold stamps from his store from January 1840.
By 1841 there were 36 dwellings, mostly slab huts which included three hotels, a hospital, a post office, two stores and the first Anglican Church. The census finding 36 dwellings and two small stores in 1841 were mostly centred on the West End of Market Street.
Blackman also opened the first inn, The Mudgee Hotel, in Market Street opposite the present court house in 1842, but some say the hotel may have dated back as far as 1837 (This was probably the hotel he opened near the deep water hole near the Camping Tree).
in 1842, Dr King opened a private hospital in Mortimer Street.
The Anglican Church established a slab hut school in 1849.
Gold was discovered at Hargraves in 1851
By 1851 Mudgee had a population of 200.
Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic and Anglican Churches and a National School were built in the 1850s.
Town Hall Hotel (now the Colonial Mecca Building) also built in the 1850s.
Amateur prospectors came to the Gulgong region in the early 1850s, encouraged by the discovery at Ophir in 1851. A geologist named Stutchbury found gold that year on a number of hilltops surrounding the Guntawang village, as well as the junction of Reedy Creek and the Cudgegong River.
William Lawson died on June 16, 1850 at Veteran Hall, and was buried at St Batholomew,
1852 a public meeting called for a public hospital, which was built on a 2 acre block in Perry Street—one main ward, two small wards and four small verandah rooms and a two-room kitchen.
In 1855 the first National School came into being.
The former West End Hotel was built in 1856, followed by the Australian Joint Stock Bank and the Government Savings Bank .
The first bank, the Bank of NSW, opened in July 1856 in a room in the Bushman’s Inn
The population of Mudgee 803 in 1857
Gold was also discovered on George Cox’s World’s End sheep station and by 1857 there were mining camps at Piambong, Bruce’s Creek and Merrendee.
The area from Mudgee to Mullamuddy was declared a municipality on February 21, 1860, making it the second town settled west of the Great Dividing Range.
From 1860 to 1865 major developments, with a Police Station, Courthouse, Post Office, Mechanics Institute, the Uniting Church and Town Hall being built. Four coach factories were operating by this time to cater for the busy town.
By the 1860s, the Mudgee Grammar School operated, its students dressed in three-piece suits and caps, or 3/4 length dresses and stockings.
By 1861 Mudgee’s population had increased to 1507.
The first Telegraph Line to Mudgee opened about 1861
Commercial Banking Co of Sydney from 1864 to 1867, then again in 1874 onwards.
J. Dietz applied for a miner’s right on land in August 1866, 3 kms south east of Gulgong, but the claim was unpayable. His claim, resulted in Gulgong being gazette as a goldfield
James Blackman dies.
The first school in Gulgong was built in 1868, but, unfortunately, closed at the end of its first year.
The gold discoveries at Gulgong and Hill End in the 1870s were a major contributor to Mudgee’s growth.
April 14, 1870 Tom Saunders discovered 14 ounces of gold on Red Hill Gulgong while shepherding sheep for Richard Rouse.
By August 1870 the Gulgong Gold Rush had begun and by June that year there were 500 people in the camp and 17 mining interests recorded payable gold.
Gulgong gained its first hospital in 1871, sitting on a hill overlooking the gold fields
Gold at Canadian Lead in August 1871
Gold Home Rule May 1872
Gulgong Public School reopened in 1874 with Robert John Hinder as the first headmaster.
1874 Dr Roberts of Sydney laid the foundation stone for a new 30 bed hospital at the present hospital site.
Gulgong’s population peaked at 20,000 before it started to subside in 1875, when payable gold was down to 6488 ounces compared to 134,455 ounces in 1872.
Mudgee Public School was built in 1878.
Gulgong’s gold rush officially ended in 1879 when a typhoid epidemic drove many people away from the area.
Typhoid epidemic in Gulgong
By the mid 1880s, commercial development had crept east along Market Street to Church Street, which became the main CBD as it is today.
The Catholic School in Gulgong opened in 1883, with six nuns of the Order of St Joseph starting a bush school for 150 students in a slab and bark building.