Click here for more on the Cox Family

Sources:

www.winbourne.cfc.edu.au
 
www.penrithcity.nsw.gov.au
 
www.winbourne.cfc.edu.au/winbourne%20indigenous%20(2).doc
 
 
George Cox of Mulgoa and Mudgee: Letters to his sons
1846 – 49.

Would you like to sponsor this Wiradjuri Nation history to grow it more?  

Contact Us Now!

info@mudgeehistory.com.au

Wiradjuri Nation: The Cox family, the Wiradjuri Nation and Winbourne and Burrundulla, cont. P.32

The Aboriginal people at Winbourne were known as the Mulgoa or Mulgoey or Mulgowi clan of the Darug people. The Darug people were a large language group occupying the Cumberland Plain Woodland.
 
In the 1980s, Jim Kohen, an archaeologist specializing in Darug history, wrote a report on archaeological evidence of Aboriginal people on Winbourne, which is held in the archives onsite. His writings include a book, The Darug and their Neighbours, (Kohen 1993), which lists more than 3,000 descendants of some early Darug families.
 
Jim’s archaeological findings confirmed that Aboriginal people first lived on Winbourne, which now bears a plaque in the courtyard of the now Retreat and Conference Centre acknowledging them as ‘traditional Indigenous owners’.
Many Europeans lived in the Mulgoa Valley, including James Norton, who built ‘Fairlight’ north west of Winbourne (1822) and Blaxland, who had a large farm, ‘Regentville’ (1815) at the northern end of the valley.
 
Winbourne is associated with the family of William Cox, the Blue Mountains road builder. Three of William Cox’s sons built houses in the valley. Henry Cox built Glenmore (the present golf club), Edward built Fernhill (now largely restored) and George built Winbourne, starting in 1824 or so. William, the road builder, lived at ‘The Cottage’, near the present site of St Thomas’ Church, before moving to Clarendon at Richmond.

 

Previous |  Content |  Next

To help this site grow,

Advertise in this space!

Email Now

info@mudgeehistory.com.au